Thursday, October 24, 2019

Anyone ever feel like they're being used?

I think everyone has that one friend in college. They always want rides, depend on you too heavily, are always asking to hang out. I never liked being that friend, at one point in my life I probably was. I felt like I was anyway, my friends always told me I wasn't a bother. (I think I only asked for rides a few times, I usually liked to try and figure it out on my own.)

Well, currently I have a friend like this. She is always wanting rides from me, companionship, or affirmation. I didn't realize, when getting into this friendship, that I'd end up being her only source of friendship. I've encouraged interaction beyond me, but she doesn't seem to understand that I really am not required to help her.

If I decide to refuse to give her a ride somewhere or make her take the bus, she becomes agitated. Thankfully I don't live with her. She has also been open with the fact that she gossips about me to her friends. She usually uses cuss words to describe my behavior, even though I RARELY refuse to help her. The only time she "accepts" it is if I'm sick.

I can't think of a graceful way to end this friendship. We are in 90% of the same classes. I am trying to find sections of classes I need that are separate from hers so I don't need to deal with her 24/7.

I do feel like I'm being used. I know if I told her she'd find a way to turn it back on me. So, I've decided to remain quiet. I've given rides to other friends before and they've always been nice about it. Even if I need to back out, I tell them hours beforehand so they can find another ride. I've even negotiated rides with other people just so they wouldn't be left without help.

This friend says things then, "I'm joking". I have a feeling I accidentally placed myself in the hands of a bully and I can't get myself out of it. It's a super weird position to be in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment